Sunday, 13 October 2013

Allison I - Prologue


(Download the updated version in PDF/epub format here.)

A very short update (bordering on being a preview), but here is the prologue of one of Keiichi Sigsawa's other light novel series, Allison. My opinion? I came for Sigsawa's writing and stayed for the worldbuilding. It's very good, although the first volume isn't quite as amazing as the rest of the series.

For those not in the know, Allison and its sequel Lillia and Treize were adapted into an anime series called Allison and Lillia several years ago. The general consensus seems to be that the anime was enjoyable, but wasn't completely faithful as an adaptation (Don't quote me on this, though, since I haven't seen the anime in a long time. All I can say is that I think one of the main characters was completely miscast).

(A note for those who've only watched the Allison and Lillia anime: The novels involve graphic violence. If you're not comfortable with gory imagery and description, you may want to avoid the books.)

As is apparent from the cover page, this is a series that has lots to do with flying. As is the case with Gakuen Kino, there may be inaccuracies and inconsistencies in my descriptions of aircraft-related exposition. I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

As is not apparent from the cover page, this is a series that takes place in something like a fantasy version of Europe (culturally speaking, anyway). As is the case with Vamp!, I'm going to need help with many of the proper nouns; most of the names seem to be pseudo-European in origin, so I'd appreciate all the help I could get.

Allison has three books, divided across four volumes. The sequel, Lillia and Treize, is composed of six volumes. The spin-off, Meg and Seron, is seven volumes long. And finally, the finale, Tale of a Single Continent, is two volumes long. Hopefully I'll get around to working on all of them within my lifetime.

Uh... this preamble's longer than the actual update, but take a look, and stay tuned for the first chapter!







-----


Prologue


-----


Daytime, a certain location. The year 3256 of the World Calendar.


Why?

Why did I have to witness this?

Why me?

Why now?


I am about to murder thousands of people in the cruelest way imaginable.

Many people—husbands, sons, fathers, and brothers—

So many men will die in agony, writhing on the ground as they suffocate.


I am about to become a murderer without equal.

I anguished over this for a very long time before finally coming to terms with the fact.


I know that there is no turning back now.

So why did I have to witness something so beautiful now, of all times?


Come what may,

I must fulfill my mission.


Will anyone set foot in this place again?

Will anyone bear witness to such a wondrous sight?


Everything I’d believed in until now.

And everything I must believe in from this point forth.


Why?

Why did I have to witness this?

Why me?

Why now?

I don’t understand.

I don’t understand.

I don’t understand.


Will I ever come to understand?


I just don’t understand.


-----


Chapter 1.


-----

1 comment:

  1. Greatly looking forward to this! And hey, 19 volumes isn't THAT long.... ;)

    ReplyDelete