Monday, 22 October 2012

Kino's Journey Volume 12 - Colour Pages (Part One)

Here are the colour pages! Or rather, the stories on the colour pages, because I don't have any scans for Kino's Journey. If anyone could point me to them, I would be very grateful.

-----



Kino's Journey - Volume XII
Story: Keiichi Sigsawa
Art: Kouhaku Kuroboshi



-----



Colour Pages - A Tale of Bandits
~Can You Imagine!~



A pair of bandits were setting up an ambush in the mountains.

One of them was an elderly man, his face gnarled with age. The other was a young man in his mid-teens.

They were standing by a mountain peak. Below them was a valley carpeted by a thick green forest. The opposite side of the valley was clearly visible. So was the road that snaked through the base of the valley.

They were both holding large binoculars. The round frame of their vision was focused on the road at the base of the valley.



-----



One day--

"Elder, I see a car passing through."

"Yes, as do I. Observe and report."

"Yes, sir. The vehicle is a green buggy laden with a large quantity of luggage. The driver is a black-haired man wearing a sweater. I can see something like a sword lying beside him. In the passenger seat is… a little girl. I see a white animal between her knees. It's most likely a dog."

"I see. Now tell me, do you think they are fit to be our prey? Should we contact the others at the base of the valley and have them attack?"

"Yes, I believe we should, sir."

"I see. And why is that?"

"Buggies are extremely hard to come by. I'm sure it'll fetch a good price.  And judging from all the luggage they're carrying, I believe they are carrying valuables in stead of money. The man at the wheel could possibly be a skilled foe, but he is by himself, and could not possibly defeat our guns with a sword alone. The girl and the dog are not even worth discussing."

"Forty points. We must not attack that buggy."

"Why is that, elder?"

"As you said, the buggy will likely fetch a hefty sum. But the man in the driver's seat is composed and ready. He is likely a swordsman without compare. And look once more at the girl. Do you recognize the object she is holding?"

"Something black… and round. Is that a bag? Or maybe a doll?"

"That is a grenade."

"…"

"Do you see the cylinder sticking out beside the girl's seat? That is a grenade launcher. It can attack us from a distance. One wrong move and we could lose many men at once. And remember that dogs have very sensitive noses. Our ambush would be discovered instantly. That is why we must not attack that buggy."



-----



It was yet another day.



"Elder. I can see a motorrad passing through."

"Yes, as do I. Observe and report."

"Yes, sir. The motorrad has a silver tank. There is luggage loaded on either side of the back wheel and on top of it. The rider is wearing a black jacket, and has a revolver in a holster over his right thigh. He's still young--around my age, I'd guess… Wait! That's a girl! I can tell because she's around my age! She's a very pretty girl! Wow…"

"I see. Now that you mention it, you're right. Those large eyes of hers are quite beautiful. Now tell me, do you think she is fit to be our prey? Should we contact the others at the base of the valley and have them attack?"

"Of course, sir! We can't let her get away! She's carrying a revolver, but what can one girl do on her own? She's the perfect target. This will be an easy job! Let's get in touch with the others right away, sir. And I'm sure that motorrad will fetch a good price, too!"

"Zero points."

"S-sir? I don't understand. Why not?"

"Listen well. To travel this world, where there are no laws or people to uphold them, is a perilous undertaking. It is nothing unusual for travelers to be attacked by bandits."

"Isn't that exactly why a girl alone is the perfect target, elder?"

"It's the very opposite, boy. Don't be fooled by appearances. The fact that she is travelling alone means that she is capable of such a thing. She is probably a skilled opponent--a veritable veteran, I would surmise. I would not be surprised if she were willing to murder to keep possession of her motorrad. Would you be willing to risk the lives of our allies for one measly vehicle?"

"…"

"My boy, the people we target must be those who delude themselves into thinking that they are strong. Those who do not think before attacking those stronger than themselves. Just like you are now."

"…"


"There, there. Don't let that get you down. You are still young, after all. You have plenty of time to learn."

"Yes, elder… Sir, I heard once that we began scoping out our targets ahead of time like this only after you joined the assault team."

"Yes. I came up with this idea."

"It's an amazing idea, sir. What inspired you?"

"Well… It was something that happened one day, a very long time ago. I was still young, you see. That day, we all attacked a passing pair of travelers. It was… a battered yellow car, but at the time… I thought it might fetch a decent price… And there was a man with a terrifying smirk… And a beautiful woman with long black hair…"

"If it was only the two of them, I suspect you must have had no problem at all, elder."

"…"

"Sir?"

"…Th-they were… demons! Th-th-that day… I saw the very face of hell… W-we must n-never allow such a thing to happen… ever again…"

"Elder? Sir, are you crying?"

"…G-get away, everyone! Fall back! R-retreat!"

"Elder! Snap out of it!"



-----



Continued in Colour Pages 2.



-----

4 comments:

  1. Baka-Tsuki uploaded the volume 12 illustrations this weekend (and I believe they did because you were looking for them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, it's nice to have a comedy-based chapter like this. The guy has such a cush on kino he pictures her as cuter than she actually is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny and great, I love it!

    ReplyDelete